Some six months after the Normandy landings on June 6th 1944 the Royal Navy arrived at Saint Germain on 26th December and the club welcomed the Allied Troops.
On 29th December 1952, at 3 o’clock in the morning, the wooden clubhouse caught fire. No reason was discovered but the damage was extensive including the loss off all cups and trophies. Fortunately, part of the secretary’s office was saved including the archives.
Since its creation the course has been consistently upgraded with new machinery and technology making significant improvements. In 1922, the grass was cut using a horse drawn mower. In 1983, a watering system was installed. In 1999 there was large-scale storm damage covering the course with fallen trees and branches, but now little trace of this event remains.
Over the last few decades a garage and repair room have been built. A caddie lodge has been constructed, close to the entrance of the club, to provide members with easy access to their bags; the size of membership has increased and, with a number of children joining, a crèche and golf school have been created.
In 2002 there was one practice ground. Today there is also a short game practice area, designed by J.M. Rossi, including two greens and four bunkers for putting and chipping. The result is a significant improvement in team performances and individual scores.
French Open – 9 times. The first in 1906.
Marcel Dallemagne: Saint Germain’s Touring-pro who taught at the club for many years. He won the French Championship six times as well as the Belgium, Italian, Swiss and Dutch Opens.