The club only had nine holes. The fairways were 25 metres wide and were surrounded by a paddock where sheep grazed. The grass was thick and many balls were lost.
The story is told that Georges Durand used to tie a piece of white rope to his ball to prevent it being lost.
Louis Trouvet was the secretary, green-keeper, and the professional. There were only thirty members who each paid 60 francs a year in membership fees. Lunch was 3 francs.
The farm, which was used as the clubhouse, was in a flood risk area, and was built on stilts and in an English style. Competitions took place at weekends and the quality of golf was described as “uneven”! Georges Durand mentioned scores of 75 & 78 after a match against the Travellers Club, then confessed they had only played 9 holes!
By 1920 the number of members had grown to about 150, for which the existing facility was too small, so 52 hectares were bought in Saint Germain and thus Saint Germain Golf Club, as we know it today, was born.